Is it really leading if I don’t know it is happening? That is the question that I have begun pondering in the last few days.
For those of you that participated in the Seriously, why do we lead? discussion, I say thanks. But one of the threads that I seemed to see in the comments on the site and those that happened in facebook and other social medial caused me to ask the fundamental question; “Is it leadership if I am not aware of it or it is happening without my direct knowledge and awareness?” In other words, must there be intentionality to leadership?
I don’t think that I have time to flesh this thought and idea out fully at this time. So, on this early Monday morning in June I will just put some questions out there and ask you for some feedback and comments.
- Can we be leaders and be unaware of or leadership role? And if so, what would that look like?
- Is leadership and support for a greater cause the same thing? In other words, is giving support to a greater cause the same thing as leadership?
- Can we be accidental leaders? Or, perhaps, better asked, can we be unaware leaders?
- Does leadership require a measure of intentionality in order to really be leadership? Must we do what we do on purpose?
- What are some other words that can be used to describe leadership?
I hope that you will ponder this and then weigh in on this and throughout the week. Rest assured that your comments will shape my thoughts and will show up in a future post or article.
Have a great week.
Photo credit: Tambako the Jaguar / Foter / (CC BY-ND 2.0)
Photo credit: Lori Greig / Foter / (CC BY-NC-ND 2.0)
Please note: I reserve the right to delete comments that are offensive or off-topic.